On Disqus, the Username and Display name are separate, and serve distinct purposes for a user's account. The Display Name is what shows up next to a user’s comments, as well as on their Profile page. The Username is a separate account identifier, and indicates the direct URL which can be used to visit a user’s profile.
Both of these names will appear when you are viewing a user’s profile in its own window or tab:
What are each of the names used for?
- Identifies the unique URL which a particular account can be viewed at (for this reason, usernames must be unique)
- Can be used in place of the account’s email address to log into an account
- Can be edited in the "Username” field in the Account tab in Profile Settings
- Simple handle to easily identify the user in thread conversations
- Does not need to be unique, so allows the user to be known by whatever name they prefer
- Can be edited in the "Name” field in the Profile tab in Profile Settings