This manual way of migrating comments is required when more than just the base domain of a thread's URL has changed. This method requires you to use a CSV (comma-separated values) file, which you can download on the Discussions > Tools > Migrate Threads > URL Mapper page.If needed, see our additional guide on How to download, edit, and upload a URL Map CSV file (including a list of software you can use).
This URL Mapper tool is not required for sites that have moved from HTTP to HTTPS because Disqus will automatically load the correct discussion thread regardless of protocol.
- Download a CSV file containing a list of thread URLs which currently belong to your forum by clicking the download link.
- After you've received this file via email, download and open it as a spreadsheet on your computer. You should see a single column of URLs.
- Input new URLs, which you're looking to map the old URL to, in the right column.
A note on which thread URLs to include: You are not required to include all thread URLs in the CSV and we recommend removing any thread URLs that do not require migration. Only thread URLs listed in the CSV will be migrated; any thread URL not included in the CSV will be left unchanged.
- Upload the CSV file at Migrate Threads > Upload URL Map.
- Migrations can take up to 24 hours to complete, so it is best to check back every few hours.
- A note regarding very large files: If your migration includes tens of thousands of URLs, we recommend breaking your CSV into a few smaller files and uploading them individually.
- It is not possible to migrate a thread from one shortname to another
- You can merge two existing URLs by mapping the first URL to the second URL, and all comments will be combined in the resulting thread.
- When threads are combined via the URL Mapper, Column B's threads will take on the title details of the corresponding threads from Column A.
Did you find this article helpful?