How to Create Community Guidelines
Community guidelines are a place for you to set the tone of your community and lay a foundation for what is acceptable. They also provide a reference for making moderation decisions. If you ever need to ban a member, or remove a comment, you’ll be able to refer those members to the pre-determined community guidelines that they may have failed to follow.
What to consider
When developing community guidelines it's good to consider the type of community you're trying to cultivate. Guidelines can cover topics like:
- Etiquette - "Be polite and stay on topic”. "No self-promotion". "Don't flag/downvote comments because you disagree with a user."
- Expectations - "Your comment will be removed for reason X, Y, and Z"
- Privacy - “Don’t post personal information"
- Moderation Settings - "Comments containing links are pre-moderated". "Discussions auto-close after 7 days". (Inform users about your forum's moderation settings)
- Anything else that you’d like members to keep in mind while commenting
Community Guidelines For Sites
Placing a link to your community guidelines in a visible location above the postbox is recommended. This offers a way for members of your community to be aware that it has guidelines.
The HTML snippet below is an example of how to add a short message and community guidelines link to your site. This should be placed above <div id="disqus_thread"></div>, for reference see the Universal Code. Be sure to customize the message and link according to your site's needs.
<div> <p>Please review our <a href=“help.disqus.com/customer/portal/articles/1450383”>Community Guidelines</a> before posting a comment. This community allows A, B, and C, but does not allow X, Y, and Z. If you have any questions, <a href="//example.com/contactus“>contact us</a>!</p> </div> ... Disqus embed code ...
Of course, the snippet above can be styled to match your site. Here's a great example:
Source: Dark Horizons
Community Guidelines For Channels
If you are a channel owner or moderator, you can also add a link to a discussion containing your channel's community guidelines under the channel's sidebar description.
At this time, it's not currently possible to add links here via the channel's Basics settings. Contact us at email@example.com and we can update it for you.
Did you find this article helpful?