Keep in mind that the Disqus WordPress (WP) plugin is designed to replace your WP comment system wherever it is referenced within your templates. Any actions such as closing comments or removing references to the comment template within WP could result in Disqus not displaying properly.
Most WordPress irregularities are caused by theme or plugin conflicts. To test, we'd recommend the following:
- Reverting to a default WordPress theme
- Disabling all plugins
- Resetting the Disqus plugin - This can be done using the "Reset" button in the "Plugin Settings" menu within the Disqus WP plugin. A step-by-step guide is available here.
Common conflicting themes/plugins:
- Thesis 2.0 (theme) - Resolution for this conflict
- Twenty Thirteen (theme) - Resolution for this conflict
- MailChimp's Social Plugin
- Facebook Connect
- GeoDirectory (plugin) - Resolution for this conflict
Possible conflicting themes/plugins:
- Spam Free Wordpress plugin
- Root Relative URLs
- Google Friend Connect Plugin
- Headway (theme) - Resolution for this conflict
- Hatch (theme) - Have a fix for this? Let us know!
- Hybrid 1.2 (theme) - Have a fix for this? Let us know!
NearlyFreeSpeech Web Hosting
If you're using NearlyFreeSpeech for your web hosting, you may encounter an issue where Disqus comments do not appear despite the plugin being installed and configured correctly. Instead, you will see Wordpress comments appearing and the error, "Sorry, the built-in commenting system is disabled because Disqus is active" when attempting to comment. To fix this, you will need to install Disqus manually. This will ensure that the correct file ownership properties are set. For more information on configuring Wordpress on NFS, click here.
Commenting embed not appearing, or isn't loading
Comment counts not working, or code showing up in other plugins
Missing comments form or "Comments closed" error
Make sure comments are enabled within WordPress itself. See WordPress' Enable and Disable Comments guide.
If you've encountered an error message
Visit the Error Message FAQ to see if the error is listed.
Did you find this article helpful?