Recommendations is an engine that helps recirculate traffic to pages with Disqus installed
To customize or disable recommended links within your site, go to your Disqus Admin, click Settings -> "Recommendations".
From this page you can customize:
- Recommendations Placement: this can be show at the top or the bottom of the embed
- Content Descriptions: you can choose to show or hide brief descriptions of the content on that page
- Publish Date: you can choose to show or hide the date when the thread was created
- Comment Count: you can show or hide the comment totals of the recommended pages
- Date Threshold: you can set how current the threads that appear in Recommendations are, selecting between threads created in the last week, month, 6 months, or year
- Placement: you can choose whether you'd like Recommendations to appear at the Top or the Bottom of the Disqus embed
How does it choose which links to recommend?
We will look for recent discussions within the same site and show ones with recent activity. If none were found, Recommendations won't show until there are a few recent discussions with activity. Note that Recommendations will only show discussions using the same shortname.
How can I change a post's title appearing in Recommendations?
Discussion titles are set automatically using the title assigned to the page where the thread was created. If the title is incorrect, it can be updated using the threads/update API call.
Why are there no recommendations showing?
Because article recommendations are based on comment content, not article content, a discussion must have at least a few recent comments to be shown in Recommendations. Recommendations works best for sites with some consistent commenting activity. The Recommendations feature is included with all paid subscription plans.
How do I block certain links?
Close comments for a discussion to prevent it from appearing in Recommendations. However, if there are recommendations showing that should not be accessible to the public, we recommend closing the comments for that discussion and registering a new shortname specifically for your future test discussions. Check out Best practices for staging, development and preview sites for more information.
I have ads enabled on my site, can I still use Recommendations?
Yes, if you have Ads and Recommendations enabled, we'll show both the Ad and the Recommendations unit side by side:
How do I manually set the images for my Recommendations?
You may want to do this if an image is not appearing automatically, or if you'd like a different image to appear in the window for a given thread. To manually set an image on the page for us to scrape, you'll want to add this code (with the appropriate thread image) to the <head> of the page:
<meta property="og:image" content="IMAGE_URL">